Tuesday, April 26, 2011

I'm on a budget -- what kind of sewing machine should I buy?

Sewing tip
Q. I would like to ask what you think about the Brother sewing machines available at Costco.
A. Thanks for asking. I seriously avoid the Brother, Kenmore, Singer and White machines sold at Costco, Sears, JoAnns and Walmart.
Sadly, they are made of cheap plastic in China. They don't sew well and quickly quit making some stitches -- leading the sewer to think it's her fault when it is the machine. And no one will fix them.
If you're on a budget, you might consider the Babylock Anna http://www.babylock.com/a-line/anna/
It's made of ballistic plastic and metal in Japan or Taiwan and costs about $199.95. Babylocks and Janomes make well-built starter machines. Montavilla Sewing Center and other sewing machine stores carry them

1 comment:

Alyson Clair said...

I always vote for a sold metal one! It's cheaper to pick a solid machine up at a thrift store or estate sale, and then have it tuned up. Both of my straight stitches cost under $20, and over the years have paid next to nothing to keep them going. (plus they are super pretty!)